A study by the New American Economy shows that across the U.S., 16.5% of all health care providers are immigrants!
- Physicians: 28.7% immigrants
- Surgeons: 19.7% immigrants
- Registered Nurses: 15.7% immigrants
- Psychiatrists: 32% immigrants
- Lab Technicians: 19.6% immigrants
- Respiratory Therapists: 13.6% immigrants
- Home Health Aides: 36.5% are immigrants.
Many other immigrants work in housekeeping at hospitals and elsewhere, helping to keep the virus at bay; they are also considered “essential workers.”
Even before COVID-19, there was a severe shortage of health care providers in the U.S. Here’s a cheer for the immigrants who are risking their own safety to keep us safe!